No charges will be filed against an out-of-state duo who dove off the top of a downtown Nashville hotel last week in an unapproved parachute stunt, authorities said.
Metro Nashville police Central Precinct detectives said Friday they are closing their investigation into the New Years Day BASE jump by two California parachutists from the rooftop bar at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Broadway near 10th Avenue North.
Detectives made the decision after learning that neither the hotel nor witnesses were interested in prosecuting the pair, police announced in a release.
Hotel security identified the two men to detectives as a 33-year-old from Big Bear City, California, and a 35-year-old from Los Angeles.
According to an MNPD incident report, on the day of the jump, officers responded to the hotel about 7 p.m. where security told police the pair had been at the rooftop bar, approached the building ledge and jumped off.
“It caused mass panic and patrons for the bar began screaming,” the report reads.
It goes on to say the men parachuted across the road and landed in an adjacent parking lot.
Hotel security reported that the men were hotel guest and were banned from the hotel after the jump.
Natalie Neysa Alund is based in Nashville at The Tennessean and covers breaking news across the south for the USA TODAY Network. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @nataliealund.
This article originally appeared on Nashville Tennessean: No charges filed against duo who BASE jumped off downtown Nashville hotel rooftop bar